“You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want.” ~ Zig Ziglar
Kindness and community are integral values in my life. That’s why I dedicate this section of Lighthouse’s website to support philanthropic initiatives and causes.
All our contributions and efforts can make a difference to build strong, thriving communities — right in our backyards or further afield. Together, we can create change and here’s how.
Lending teams are self-organized groups where members can connect with one another and rally around shared lending goals designed to alleviate poverty. Leveraging the internet and micro-finance institutions, individuals can lend as little as $25 to help create opportunity around the world with 100% of every dollar you lend on Kiva going directly towards funding loans. From Honduras to Sierra Leone, the United States to Bolivia here is a peek at the entrepreneurs we have supported through Lighthouse’s Lending Team. Will you join us?
Since 1997, Zero Ceiling Society of Canada has been providing at-risk and homeless youth and young adults an opportunity to experience mountain life through adventure based learning programs. Their programs are complemented by spectacular Whistler, North America’s #1 ski resort and underpinned by a community that makes quality of life a priority. This combination makes for an inspirational alternative lifestyle for those seeking change.
Whether you would like to learn more, volunteer your time or make a donation, take a look here at Zero Ceiling’s incredible impact.
Whistler Blackcomb Foundation supports larger, everlasting community projects within the Sea to Sky Corridor. They are dedicated to providing financial support to organizations whose activities provide benefit to residents. Since 1992, they have raised over $9.4 million for registered local charities making it the larges fundraising organization in the area.
Shine Your Light — my newest little idea to pay kindness forward because it’s not always about donating money or time. Sometimes it is the seemingly small gestures that create a ripple effect and that is what Lighthouse’s ‘Shine Your Light’ Generosity in Action is all about.
Here is how it works.
- Email me here for our beautiful ‘Shine Your Light’ cards. I can drop them off if you are in Whistler or mail some to you so you can spread the light further afield!
- Get out there and do something nice for someone. It can be any gesture and doesn’t need to cost money. Scroll down for some ideas. When you do that, give them a ‘Shine Your Light‘ card and ask that they pass on the card with an act of generosity towards someone else.
- Pop on to Lighthouse’s Facebook page and share your experience and how it brightened your day — whether you are the one giving or the one getting.
Some Ideas to Put Generosity in Action:
- Send a handwritten card to someone with a ‘Shine Your Light’ card tucked inside.
- Volunteer your time at the food bank, local school or anywhere.
- Pay someone a sincere compliment.
- Reach out to a friend ~ take them baked goodies, walk their dog or offer to babysit their kids.
- Pay for the person’s coffee in line.
- Offer someone business advice… just because.
But no matter what you choose, don’t forget to leave them a ‘Shine Your Light’ card so they can pay it forward. Now get out there and make someone’s day!
An African proverb says “If you want to go fast, go alone…. If you want to go far, go together.” Join me in this heart-centered approach to make a difference, won’t you?
Thank you to my friend Janet for this photo — a heart discovered in nature!